My recipe makes a mildly spicy chutney. If you like a more fiery taste you may a 1/2 or 1 chilly more.
Coconut - 1 cup(grated and firmly packed into the cup)
Green chilly - 1
Tamarind paste - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 4 nos
Method of Preparation:
1. Put all the ingredients for the chutney in a mixer grinder and grind to a smooth paste with 3/4 cup water.
2. Pour the chutney into a bowl.
3. Heat the oil in a small tempering pan. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Put off from heat and immediately add the curry leaves. Pour over the chutney. Mix well and Serve.
Notes: 1 For some more flavour, you may also add about 1/2 tsp of chana dal and 1 broken long red chilli into your tempering.
2. For a more green color, you may add about 1/2 cup of corriander leaves into your coconut mix and then grind it all together.
3. If you want you're chutney thick and stiff( to serve with bonda's and vada's), reduce the quantity of water to only 1/4th cup.
4. If you want a more liquid chutney, you may add the required quantity of water after you have ground the chutney.