Monday, 9 November 2009
A colorful tasty Indian Sweet!
Makes 15 burfi's.
Carrots - 3 cups (grated and packed into cup)
Ghee - 1 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Sliced Almonds for garnish.
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat Ghee in a kadai. Add grated carrots and cook till all the moisture evaporates and the raw smell goes.
2. Add sugar. Mix well with the carrots and keep stirring on medium heat for about 8-10 mins.
3. Keep a plate aside and put half tsp. of the mixture on the plate. Allow to cool. Now try to roll the mixture into a ball with your fingers. If it forms a soft ball then your barfi is ready. If it does not and water separates out from the carrots it means it still needs cooking.
4. As soon as the burfi is ready pour it onto a plate and cut into shapes while warm. decorate with sliced almonds or any other crushed nuts. Tilt the plate to drain the extra ghee. You may use this ghee for cooking any other sweet or while making chapathi's.
5. Remove them from the plate after it has cooled and serve. This burfi will stay fresh for about a week in an air-tight container.